POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic bricks : Re: Realistic bricks Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic bricks
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 3 May 2006 06:15:00
Message: <web.44588194782f552a76ba2c900@news.povray.org>
> Bricks and building slabs in general can be difficult to simulate with
> textures. Of late, I've taken to building structures from discrete brick
> objects, using random selection from a small array of differently textured
> mesh bricks to cut down on memory usage. This can look great, especially
> when the individual bricks can then also be randomly displaced or rotated
> very slightly to give a sense of irregularity.

Blocks must be the flavour of the month. :)

I don't use meshes much, but they are (currently) one of the best ways
to keep memory requirement low for huge numbers of copies.

Isosurfaces can sometimes be used with the mod() function to create multiple
objects, but this doesn't work well with multiple bricks, due to the steep
sides. You end up using huge gradients, it takes hours, and still gets
errors... I can post an example image if you need to see. :)

> surface (might have to take a look at that sandstone... :) ).

Be my guest! Also check out the smooth 'test' blocks in that file.