POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic bricks : Re: Realistic bricks [100 kb] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic bricks [100 kb]
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 3 May 2006 05:45:00
Message: <web.44587aedb5c7f485731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> I believe it is only relatively true.  It has long been my intuition
> that high-res, unsmoothed triangles would create more believeable
> surfaces for many materials, especially skin.
I guess it's very like using micronormals to make smooth surfaces believably
matte...

> So I am looking forward to your
> source if for no other reason than ease of running tests at different
> resolutions.
I think you might be right. I advocated upping the resolution because you
need a high level of detail in the pigment function to realistically
represent the rough surface. A smoothed lower-res mesh would just look
blobby. But we'll see!

> but the streaking
> effects might interest you.
They do indeed. Is that a procedural texture? Looks like you're using
normals too. Very realistic. Any chance of a peek at the code? :)

Bill