POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Low contrast/saturation using image maps : Re: Low contrast/saturation using image maps Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Low contrast/saturation using image maps
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 28 Apr 2006 10:40:01
Message: <web.44522880b8182a8476ba2c900@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:
> I've noticed that when I use an image map, the surface is usually very low
> contrast and/or low saturation.  Is there some setting (i.e. specular -
> I've tried turning specular off and it doesn't help) that has an effect
> here?  How (aside from tweaking the image map) can I fix this?

I generally just boost the diffuse value (and also ambient if I'm not using
radiosity). You can also adjust the brightness, contrast & gamma of any
pigment by converting it to a pigment function, and then using an
appropriate transfer function. Jaime's LightSys package can do this sort of
thing.

As you can imagine, this slows rendering, so you're probably better
off tweaking the image file. From the look of your Mars globe, I think you
need to boost the gamma of your source image. Or maybe it's just a funny
JPEG file...

I rendered some globes of Venus & Mars years ago, but the files are still on
my Amiga (I think).