POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Magic Mushrooms : Re: Magic Mushrooms Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Magic Mushrooms
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 23 Apr 2006 22:00:00
Message: <web.444c3025c0d8715ec8947640@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > A new image as I'm further refining my lighting macro.  This one uses the
> > HDRI that Bill Hails created and posted.
> >
> > No rad/photons, 256 light sources, AA 0.3
> >
> > -tgq
>
> Looks great, It looks like the scene uses radiosity but I guess with 256
> light sources you don't need radiosity (also I expect it would take a year
> to render..) Is this the light dome macro's that I saw posted previosly?
> The effect is very photo-realistic.
>
> Sean

No, the scene doesn't use radiosity.  Instead it uses a light dome macro
that I've been developing for environment based lighting, which (I think
anyways) gives nicer results.  It is based on the one I posted earlier but
is much more developed now (when I'm satisfied that I don't want to polish
it anymore, I will post it fo those interested).  With the previous
versions, I took at least 1000 light sources to get as smooth results (and
I like the fill lighting on this one better)

Actually it only about 30 mins to render that one.  Of course with more
complex scenes the render time increases.

Scene level radiosity can be added as well, only they don't need to be high
quality settings, as radiosity from the HDRI environment sphere is turned
off (megaPOV support a no_radiosity flag, unfortunatelyit looks like the
new POV doesn't have it, but there are workarounds).  The attached image is
the same scene with low quality radiosity so not much time is added to the
render.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'shrooms - office6-rad.jpg' (188 KB)

Preview of image 'shrooms - office6-rad.jpg'
shrooms - office6-rad.jpg