POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Can we join together to make a baseball? : Re: Can we join together to make a baseball? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can we join together to make a baseball?
From: wayne461
Date: 17 Apr 2006 14:25:01
Message: <web.4443dc87fe7dfd43c546d28d0@news.povray.org>
> This function finds the point where the magenta cylinder intersects
> the ball's surface, marked by the magenta sphere.  The magenta cylinder
> is nothing more that the path from the red sphere to the center of the
> ball.  The magenta sphere is the same as the spherical blob components
> that I use to make the lumps along the seam.
>
> * But now with Jelby's contribution it is probably possible to define
> points directly on the surface of a sphere, thus obviating much of this.

Glad to see this is coming together with so much help from Jim and now
Jelby.

It seems for a basball we still may want the seam to be just above the ball.
On baseball it makes a slight ridge there so maybe it would need to be toned
down from the current code, Jim?
I am posting a link to a real upclose image of an actual baseball to support
this.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.justinnewitter.com/stock/Baseball.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.justinnewi
tter.com/stock/page_01.htm&h=1600&w=1200&sz=521&tbnid=1MNLzbzsnPsJ:&tbnh=149&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbaseball%26hl%
3Den%26lr%3D&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

However, I think now Jelby's lead might help us more finely code the holes
in the ball and stitches exiting and going into ball?  Is that how you see
things proceeding, Jim?  Do you want me to play around and see what I can
come up with?