POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Can we join together to make a baseball? : Re: Can we join together to make a baseball? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can we join together to make a baseball?
From: wayne461
Date: 14 Apr 2006 23:15:01
Message: <web.44406475fe7dfd43fee8fb0b0@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Not bad guess at the texture.  He oiously also layed in some scuffs with
> a large bumps or dents of some such.
>
> Most of his code there looks straightforward enough to me.  He is using
> a patched version that circulated for awhile that allowed you to replace
> the #declare with a $ sign.  The eval_3d_spline macro is pretty tame as
> I recall.  But all of that is obviously just a way to get the raised
> seams.    But what we don't have is the actually spline definition which
> is at the heart of the path of the seam on the sphere.
>
> I recall there was a nice tutorial circulating in the Wings3D community
> that demonstrated how to model the shape of that style of seam (which
> exists on other sports balls too)  It took advange of how subdivision
> smoothing worked against a cube as I recall.  But I can no longer find it.
Jim,
So do you know if the eval_3d_spline macro converted into POVRAY 3.6
anywhere?

Do we really even need a spline though?  I thought that with some
well-placed pieces of tori (plural or torus?) and the blob function we
could add the seams?  The placement of the red stitches was what I thought
would be the hardest because I don't know easily who to place them along
the seam defined by the tori.