POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Can we join together to make a baseball? : Can we join together to make a baseball? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Can we join together to make a baseball?
From: wayne461
Date: 12 Apr 2006 01:00:01
Message: <web.443c893b5fecae0ff31243ec0@news.povray.org>
Well the opening pitches have been thrown this year..
I have been trying to find a decent baseball in a current (3.6?) POVRAY
version for ages with not much luck.  Someone posted one that was close
back in old posting in p.b.i.
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C38AFF53B.4A483B33%40stud.ntnu.no%3E/?mtop=12

; however, I didn't see all the source posted and what was posted seemed to
be some other related render (maybe MEga PoV?). Somewhere slse in the
newsgroup someone posted a link to a tutorial describing how to make a
baseball seam but the link is now broken.
Anyway can we pool our resources and make a reasonable baseball the
community can use?  I would think we can leave off any logo that involves
an image map for now unless someone is industrious.

Sadly, so far I have the basic drity leather ball in the scene. It seems a
little more speckled than the original I based it on for some reason and
making it a much brighter scene didn't help much.
 I imagine blobing could be used to add the raised part at the seems but how
to get the red stitches is beyond me.  Here is what I have:

//baseball attempt
//modified from
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C38AFF53B.4A483B33%40stud.ntnu.no%3E/?mtop=12
#declare AreaLightOn = off;
#include "colors.inc"

// radiosity (global illumination) settings
global_settings {
  radiosity {
    pretrace_start 0.08           // start pretrace at this size
    pretrace_end   0.04           // end pretrace at this size
    count 35                      // higher -> higher quality (1..1600) [35]
    nearest_count 5               // higher -> higher quality (1..10) [5]
    error_bound 1.8               // higher -> smoother, less accurate [1.8]
    recursion_limit 3             // how much interreflections are
calculated (1..5+) [3]
    low_error_factor .5           // reduce error_bound during last pretrace
step
    gray_threshold 0.0            // increase for weakening colors (0..1)
[0]
    minimum_reuse 0.015           // reuse of old radiosity samples [0.015]
    brightness 1                  // brightness of radiosity effects (0..1)
[1]

    adc_bailout 0.01/2
    //normal on                   // take surface normals into account [off]
    //media on                    // take media into account [off]
    //save_file "file_name"       // save radiosity data
    //load_file "file_name"       // load saved radiosity data
    //always_sample off           // turn sampling in final trace off [on]
    //max_sample 1.0              // maximum brightness of samples
  }
}

camera {
  location <0, 10, -36>
  direction 1*z
  look_at <-.2, 0, 0>
}

light_source {
  <0, 20, -70> color White *1.6
  #if (AreaLightOn=yes)
  area_light 75*x, 75*y, 75, 75
  adaptive 1
  jitter
  #end
}
/*
light_source {
  <80, 120, -200> color White
   #if (AreaLightOn=yes)
  area_light 10*x, 10*y, 5, 5
  adaptive 1
  jitter
  #end
}
*/

plane {
  z, 2.5
  hollow
  pigment { White }
  finish { ambient .5 }
}

# declare ball=
pigment { bozo
    colour_map {
        [0 rgb <255,249,227>/255]
        [0.5 rgb <233,255,227>/255 ]
        [0.8 rgb <219,205,150>/255 ]
        [1 rgb <255,249,227>/255]
               }
        }

# declare darkness=
pigment { ripples
    colour_map {
        [0 rgb 1]
        [0.8 rgbf <131,105,55,90>/255 ]
        [1 rgbf 1]
               }
        }

# declare R =3;

sphere {<0, 0, 0>, R*3.05
    texture{pigment {ball}}
    texture{pigment {darkness}}
    finish {specular .1 roughness .05}
    normal { granite 0.5  scale .001 }
}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'basic baseball from old povray newsgroup.jpg' (31 KB)

Preview of image 'basic baseball from old povray newsgroup.jpg'
basic baseball from old povray newsgroup.jpg