POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : General linux advice (is there a GUI editor?) : Re: General linux advice (is there a GUI editor?) Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:54:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: General linux advice (is there a GUI editor?)
From: nemesis
Date: 7 Apr 2006 23:15:00
Message: <web.443729ce972a330fb0beb7c80@news.povray.org>
This is always fun. :)  My typical povray session goes like this in a bash
shell:

$ vim tmp.pov
*some editing*
:w
CTRL+Z
$ CTRL+Rpovray+ENTER
$ fg
*repeat*

In other words, open up a tmp pov file in vim -- excellent editor with
syntax-highlighting, textual completion, block select, macros and many
advanced editing capabilities -- do some editing, save the work (:w in
vim), interrupt the editor process (CTRL+Z), search backwards in the
command-line session history for the last povray invocation with my many
default options set already and if i'm not happy with the output, bring
back the editor and repeat the whole process... :)

Though i'm rather new to povray, this is a very productive setup for me.
kate's not bad, it's just not up there yet with vim and emacs... ;)