POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : No display : Re: No display Server Time
26 Jun 2024 04:06:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No display
From: gregjohn
Date: 7 Apr 2006 12:55:00
Message: <web.4436981617e2f8e540d56c170@news.povray.org>
"mil01" <mil### [at] mailcom> wrote:
> I've compiled povray 3.6 on Ubuntu 64 bits
> Everythings fine except that that display of rendering is not avilable.
> When launching render, console say : displaying...
> but nothing appear (only dots on console )
>
> ....and my povray.conf has Display=On
>
> what's the problem ?
>
> thanks

I am using Kubunu 5.10 and don't have a problem seeing the rendering window
during rendering.

A general piece of advice from the linux experts in my local LUG is to avoid
any and all software that isn't in a repository.  I really like that advice,
and with ubuntu, you really don't have to worry, because it's got some of
the more-well stocked repositories of any of  the distros I've tried. It
beats SUSE by far, which is the only other distro I'd recommend for
permanent installation.

I believe it is quite unfortunate for the povray pages on linux not to guide
folks to the repositories.

If you add this to your sources file, you can see povray and get it that
way:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy multiverse