POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grass 'n' Glass : Re: Grass 'n' Glass Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass 'n' Glass
From: Tim
Date: 6 Apr 2006 12:35:00
Message: <web.443541ee2c9ee25b39c1f1d20@news.povray.org>
Hi Ross,

> Nice work. For the stems, the ones that go crooked look a little too sharply
> crooked.

Hmmm, I think that must be the lighting.  For the stems I simply took a
random length within a given range, multiplied it by 16 and created a torus
with that circumference, then took 1/16th out which gave the final bend to
the stem.  This way I could use polar coordinates to find any point I
needed to.  On the other hand... :)  if you mean the angle they're leaning
to you may be right!  My intentions are to examine the meadow foxtail
directly when the time of year comes around.  And if I get the chance I'll
study it's movement in various wind conditions and add an interface to use
that information.

> For the scene, i'd change the lighting somewhat. Maybe add a dim
> fill light directly behind the camera (so as to not cast unwanted shadows),
> or use some radiosity. Otherwise, it's a perfectly fine first posting to the
> group.
>
> -r

Your right about the lighting, there's no other word for it!  I only quickly
rendered a half hour scene last night to show the plant really.  I tried
playing with the light settings this afternoon after chatting with Bob H
but could only make it worse!  To tell the truth I gave up, deciding that
with so much light bouncing about it wasn't the best scene to learn on.
There's no denying it, I chickened.  :-/  Thanks for your comments though.
I was expecting to be cut down today as I know it can be so easy to like
anything you put alot of effort into regardless of what it looks like, and
it's nothing compared to the other images on this site, but the comments
I've received so far have been a big confidence booster.

Tim

Btw the macro is posted to the binary utilities now so I hope people can
make some use of it.