POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grass 'n' Glass : Re: Grass 'n' Glass Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass 'n' Glass
From: Tim
Date: 6 Apr 2006 06:40:00
Message: <web.4434efd32c9ee25b39c1f1d20@news.povray.org>
Hehe, looking at the picture you linked to it looks very much like a common
weed I used to rip apart as a kid!  It was as if it had a label on it
saying "Destroy Me."  Coincidentally though, halfway through writing the
macro I realised it wouldn't take much to create another macro to create
that plant.

I'm sure there's no problem with coincidence surface problems as I chose the
angles and vertical gaps to avoid that.  I think if thhat problem existed
the heads would appear as black splodges as there are just so many
cylinders.  I double checked the darkness issue and verified it is simply
because of the angles of the cylinders when the plant is turned around.  I
tried altering the radiosity but I didn't like the results.  Instead I've
ensured that none of the stems are placed at such an angle to cause the
problem.  I'm thinking (hoping) that the contrast between the stems is
going to add some depth and interest to any future landscape images I use
this macro in.

I noticed a fault with the generation of the leaf blade meshes, so rewrote
that part to provide a better and more varied curve and to stop them looing
like thin wire clones of eachother.

Finally I found a website which specifies the heads to be 9cm long so my
random value is now from 7-9cm.  That and a little jiggery pokery I did
with the seeds/cylinders and I reckon they look good now.  The picture has
grown on me now so although I know it's not up to the standard of most of
the pictures here, I'll probably post and hope for more feedback!

Tim