POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The players (126 k) : Re: The players (126 k) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The players (126 k)
From: nemesis
Date: 1 Apr 2006 17:00:01
Message: <web.442ef6d5aa4a3045712435140@news.povray.org>
nice image!  clever compositing work...

"helge_h" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> that combining different techniques is difficult

oh, definetely!

> It's a strange thing, 3d: you can make just about anything, but it sort of
> drags you down the path of realism; all the tools and effects are coined at
> imitating the real world.

well, though raytracing is a simulation of real-world lighting phenomena, i
think it's the artist's job to bend the medium to its best intentions.
Povray provides many interesting features that let you go well beyond what
reality permits... :)

> Well, typing, too, of course. But dragging with the mouse to select
> something to copy is really a drag.

don't do it.  I believe you're talking about the GUI frontend for Povray in
Windows, right?  Use the ALT button to navigate the menus and use the
underlined characters to choose an item in the menu.  Try to decorate some
keyboard shortcuts as well:  your productivity will skyrocket.  I'm a very
anti-mouse kinda person:  even in mouse-heavy software like Photoshop or
GIMP, i use the mouse just to draw, not to select items in menus or
commands...

> I have tried Blender, and that was really bad, and Wings is no better.

well, that's rather strange coming from a Photoshop guy, but then, perhaps
2D and 3D drawing are really very different...