POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The players (126 k) : Re: The players (126 k) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The players (126 k)
From: helge h
Date: 31 Mar 2006 15:05:00
Message: <web.442d8abbaa4a30451c6902970@news.povray.org>
"Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
> Nice work compositing the cat and dog into the scene. The clouds are drop
> dead gorgeous, everything is gorgeous, but the statues look a little flat.
>
> With the water, I would expect to see some of the submerged rock just below
> the surface. however all i see are reflections.
>
> Still, it's great. Fantastic work!

Thanks a lot. Oops - forgot to mention: the sky is also a photograph; on the
sky sphere to make reflections, but masked off with the alpha map, then the
original photo was put back behind the scene.

The statues are drawings in Photoshop Elements, with a photo texture on
them. Just goes to show that combining different techniques is difficult
(for me, anyway).

I decided against making the sea transparent to save rendering time, it's
just a wrinkle pattern normal. Still, the reflections take some time, the
lower third takes about the same time as the rest.

gregjohn:
> I am usually turned off by relaism for realism's sake, but I really love
> what you have done here.  Excellent composition and theme.

Thanks.

It's a strange thing, 3d: you can make just about anything, but it sort of
drags you down the path of realism; all the tools and effects are coined at
imitating the real world. I try to do surrealism, but it is so tempting to
put more and more details into it, to make it more 'real'.

> Now that's one thing I've never heard before. I thought the pain of povray
> was that you had to do too much typing, not mouse clicking.  ;)

Well, typing, too, of course. But dragging with the mouse to select
something to copy is really a drag. It's very sad, because I like POV-Ray a
lot. I have tried Blender, and that was really bad, and Wings is no better.
I thought typing in POV-Ray would be a solution, but unfortunately it's
not. Well, I hope a break will make things better. "I'll be back", I hope.

Steve:
> Looking forward to the update. Excellent image!

Thanks. And sorry, no update. This is the final one.