POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cobblestone (update) : Re: cobblestone (update) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cobblestone (update)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 7 Mar 2006 09:30:01
Message: <web.440d97f1e44d31916c4803960@news.povray.org>
David El Tom <dav### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> thanks all for their comments, helped me a lot.
>
> following the suggstions you made, here a quick update.
>
>    - added an additional cosine function to make the stones more pillow-like
>    - removed the normal statement which added extra roughness (looks now cleaner)
>    - randomly changing color_map which boosts reality effect
>    - adjusted the rigged_mf function to fit better with the reference pictures
>    - raised specular level and lowered roughness value to support the polished look
>

> still not happy with the base texture, ...
>
> ... more suggestions ? (PLEASE...)
>
> ... dave

Looking much better.  Perhaps they could be a little shinier on the top
(wearing surface) , you might want to try texture mapping with the slope
pattern to achieve this.  Add a bit of random displacement, plus (similar
to the other scene someone else posted) an overall area displacement to
simulate settlement.  (as an additional comment you might try, cobblestones
look especially cobblestoney when wet)

-tgq