POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Custom povray scene file reader (parse.cpp + tokenize.cpp) : Re: Custom povray scene file reader (parse.cpp + tokenize.cpp) Server Time
17 May 2024 05:55:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Custom povray scene file reader (parse.cpp + tokenize.cpp)
From: human 2 0
Date: 4 Mar 2006 18:55:01
Message: <web.440a2805b23fe0fa674c36620@news.povray.org>
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/filesQandT.html#povtootherformatsdifficulty
>
> You would hardly have any advantage of using code from just parse.cpp
> and tokenize.cpp to write a POV-SDL reader - most parts of POV-Ray are
> needed for correctly interpreting a scene file.
>
> The only practicable way to 'convert' a POV-Ray scene would be modifying
> POV-Ray itself to do so.

Hrm....  ok.  Modifying POV-Ray itself is certainly an interesting idea
(especially considering the license), but probably over my head right now.

I wont be converting everything in fact, certainly no variables or
expressions!  And I was actually not converting to another language, but
rather to commands to send to modo to create the same objects (boxes,
spheres, etc), or named macros (of objects) and implement them again for
modo.

Since I posted the topic I've been reading on lexers and it looks like I can
probably write one to handle what I need to do.  At least I know I'm not
wasting my time writing my own parser.  That is actually what I wanted to
know.

Thanks for the help!