POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elliptical torus : Elliptical torus Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Elliptical torus
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 2 Mar 2006 10:20:00
Message: <web.44070cbe4669438182fc96790@news.povray.org>
Hello!

I worked on a subject posted earlier in the 'new users' thread. I put the
result here because I think the topic does not address ont only new users.
I'll post in p.b.s_f a sample scene with macros that make an elliptical
torus:

   -) sw_elliptical_torus(_major, _minor, _radius, _tolerance)
      for the sphere_sweep version (also providing a macro to generate the
spline),
   -) elliptical_torus(_major, _minor, _radius)
      for the blob version, which is much faster. The blob is made of
spheres with constant linear density to ensure the radius is constant all
along the perimeter.

As the image shows, the scene superimposes the two versions in order to
visualize that they overlap correctly, and proving thay are closely
equivalent. Just comment out one or the other and compare the render speed.

    Bruno

NB: I also use blobs in a rope macro I posted recently here (improving it at
the time).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'elliptic_torus.jpg' (37 KB)