POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Down the Drain (WIP Update #1) : Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #1) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #1)
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 28 Feb 2006 11:25:00
Message: <web.440476f6f586906143a5e2560@news.povray.org>

Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>    I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring this up.
>
>    The rotation of the water has nothing to do with the rotation of
> the Earth or anything like that. It's purely a question of geometry
> of the sink, the pipes, initial water movement, etc.

Everything you ever knew about spinning water that ain't so:
     http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

A similar fallacy leads some New-Agers to believe that the tides affect our
body fluid.  It's sometimes scary all the things we take for granted that
are totally bogus. Here's a bunch:
     http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/misconceptions.html