POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Knot world : Re: Knot world Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot world
From: Jon Buller
Date: 15 Feb 2006 14:20:00
Message: <web.43f37d5c646e4d2ebe920ef30@news.povray.org>
> "Jon Buller" <jon### [at] bullersnet> wrote:
> > Personal opinion: rotate the scene 90 degrees counter clockwise, and move
> > the camera a bit to the (new) left and a little down as well.  This gives a
> > big hunk of the knot as a sort of brick road that you could walk on that
> > goes to the right and slightly away.  A little bit of playing around could
> > probably make it curve up or down as well, but I think that is unnecessary.
>
> I see what you're getting at. That's an interesting concept... it would
> probably look really nice, although I'm not sure I should be using a
> brick-knot for that. However, it's not really what I had in mind. I intend
> to have some human-type constructions attached to the knot as if it were a
> column, as in previous posts, i.e. with the vertical aligned with the knot
> axis. The camera would then be floating alongside. This makes the whole
> thing more vertiginous (for me, at least - I really don't like sheer
> heights!).

OK, I guess you are going after a x-wing flying over the DeathStar trench
kind of thing.  I suspect it will probably be fine then.  (As if it were my
image to be fine with... 8^)  The way it is, I was feeling confused because
it looked like a brick path to walk on, but it was built on the side of a
cliff.  Rather disorienting...  And I couldn't see the whole thing like
when you had the staircases on them, so I couldn't orient myself to it that
way either.

As soon as you have a bunch of objects sprouting out of the knot at all
angles, that brick pathway feeling will probably be long gone.

> I may revisit your concept at some point, however...

I'd like to see that.  Or maybe I'll be able to do it myself, once I figure
out a good "normal" function to base the "knot space" on.  The 2nd
derivative of my knot is not continuous, but I need a C2 vector
perpendicular to the tangent to make it all work.  I've faked a couple of
functions to work, but they have some odd looking twists in places...

Wish I remembered more of the differential geometry class I had in college
years and years ago...

Jon