POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sunscape WIP updated : Re: Sunscape WIP updated Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunscape WIP updated
From: s day
Date: 14 Feb 2006 14:20:01
Message: <web.43f22d1482d2c223a5e176e40@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> Looks great, keep it up! :-)
>
> Something about the snow on the trees bothers me a little: single spheres of
> snow at branch-tips and such... Additionally, you'll often find snow being
> stacked more to one side of the tree than the other, very seldom does snow
> just fall straight down from the sky, there's often some wind involved.
> A hint for the background trees (though I don't know if you're already doing
> it, but I'll say it nontheless): for the background it should suffice to use
> a patterned slope-map as a texture to simulate a snow-like surface. It's
> what I did in this image:
> http://www.nolights.de/projects/missyou/missyou.html
>
> I'd also add some more irregularity to the fence. In the above mentioned
> image I've written a small script to create slightly bent logs, and I vary
> the bending and sizes to get a more natural look...
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> --
> aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"
> Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Thanks for the comments, I have tried several different levels of snow on
the nearest tree and to remove the odd spheres at branch ends I had to use
more snow which then meant the image lost the contrast of the dark tree
against the Sun. If I have time I will try to fix this before the IRTC
deadline (although I have a busy couple of weeks ahead so don't know how
much time I will get..) Thanks for the hint on the trees in the distance, I
will give it a go as I think the problem you have spotted is because I am
not covering all trees with snow due to memory constraints of having too
many blobs.
The fence is my latest addition and I agree it does look too regular I am
thinking of using isosurfaces for the wood to make it look weathered and
adding a bit of randomness.

Thanks

Sean