POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stargate WIP : Re: Stargate WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stargate WIP
From: Roman Reiner
Date: 14 Feb 2006 08:40:01
Message: <web.43f1dce54895ceda363f12270@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:
> Well, it is a _bit_ more complex than that, but all the layers I made didn't
> seem to help much.  See below for the code, and maybe you can give me some
> suggestions?

In deed I can :)
Apart from those cracks the texture seems just like plain gray to me. So

raising the contrast of those patterns at least during the w.i.p. phase.
Don't be afraid of going over the top as lowering contrast is always easier
than raising it afterwards. Higher contrasted patterns do also have the
advantage that changes are easier to recognize and therefore less time
consuming.
Raising contrast does mean:
a) (trivial) increase there relative brightness
b) more sophisticated ;) change there colors (less gray). A pattern of
complementary colors look better than simple gray mostly.
and c) as you've already done here and there
use something like

[0.0 Color1]
[0.4 Color1]
[0.6 Color2]
[1.0 Color2]

instead of just

[0.0 Color1]
[1.0 Color2]

at your color fades.

Hope this helps.

One thing about those cracks. I couldn't find such on the 'original'
stargate (e.g.
http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/chevron.jpg). is
this variance wanted?

Regards Roman