POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ivy on a tree WIP : Re: ivy on a tree WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ivy on a tree WIP
From: Kenneth
Date: 12 Feb 2006 04:20:00
Message: <web.43eefcb4238f31ce870dc4da0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> You may try choping the sphere_sweep into smaller pieces. A sphere_sweep have a
prety large bounding
> box that is mostly empty. As you have 60 sweeps in the same area, all bounding boxes
pile up leading
> to a very ineficient situation. By subdividing it, you get smaller, tighter,
bounding boxes that
> overlap less with each other.

Thanks, Alain!  I do seem to remember reading something similar in another
post awhile back, but didn't remember the details. I'm going to try this
trick.

While I was experimenting with using sphere_sweeps for the vines, my first
attempt actually did have multiple spline segments making up each vine, as
you've described. But after doing such a test (and not realizing that it
might save render time) I deleted the code...thinking it was an ineffieient
way of generating a sphere_sweep!! Just goes to show that seemingly
odd bits of code should be archived for future thought!

Ken