POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another ruddy knot : Yet another ruddy knot Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another ruddy knot
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 9 Feb 2006 05:45:01
Message: <web.43eb1c8c5a636d8a731f01d10@news.povray.org>
What ho

Another knot for your perusal. This one's slightly longer than the previous
one, and is composed of some 79,500 meshes. It took just over 10 minutes to
parse (reading precalculated knot path positions from a data file) and a
further 90 minutes to render with 2 area lights and radiosity on my iBook
(1.2 GHz, 512Mb RAM).

Interestingly, I tried the same scene on my office PC (~0.9GHz, 128Mb RAM)
and it took over 14 hours. A better illustration of the need for plentiful
memory I've yet to see. :)

I have plans to instantiate and copy all three knots several times in a
single scene. Does anyone know if the tiny memory overhead of mesh cloning
extends to meshes grouped in a union? (i.e., if each knot is a union of
meshes, will copies of that union gobble up my RAM?)

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'granny1.jpg' (204 KB)