POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien desert--again : Re: Alien desert--again Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien desert--again
From: Afishionado
Date: 8 Feb 2006 17:55:00
Message: <web.43ea75ef5fabfc7daf19c4930@news.povray.org>
> Now that you focus on the animal, I think that you will have to detail it
> some more. The texture is alright, but the body parts look a bit
> "unfinished" now (tail, trunk, ears). I like the waistband though.

I didn't really envision the animal having ears or a tail.

I should really post some pictures of the animal from different angles. It
actually has a duck bill, not a trunk. :-P I made the body elephant-like,
so I can see how people mistake it for a trunk.

> I do like the mystery of those closed curtains (could you make them move a
> bit with the movement of the animal and/or a slight breeze?) although I miss
> now the suggestion of the person inside.
>
> The sand is really deep, and I wonder if the animal will not get exhausted
> pretty soon :-)  Make it a little less.

OK. :-)

> I believe there is a perturbing interference between the head of the animal
> and the crystals behind it. Move those a bit to the left in order to "free"
> the head. It might however be that a bit of fog would do the same job,
> giving a sense of deepness to the scene.

My experience is that in the desert on a still day the air is *very* clear
(which is why I took the clouds out), so I'm staying away from fog. You're
probably right that I should move the animal a bit, though.

Some heat ripples in the distance would be neat, but that's more than I want
to try right now.

> Well, the sky would need a little more work indeed. Some grading effects at
> least.

The gradient *is* there, but I guess I need to make it stronger. :-)

William