POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : One trillion spheres : Re: One trillion spheres Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:12:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One trillion spheres
From: IanT
Date: 8 Feb 2006 15:05:01
Message: <web.43ea4dfaa8a49e14417aa78b0@news.povray.org>
Yes, absolutely right.  The memory requirements are only for 1000 spheres
and 4 CSG union objects.  In my ray tracer, any CSG object or triangle mesh
is automatically assigned its own individual subdivision scheme (any one of
uniform grid, bounding volume hierarchy or kd-tree ... although I've
never found any reason yet to use anything other than uniform grid ...
it seems to outperform kd-tree by at least 20% in almost all cases, with the
unfortunate side-effect of needing a little more memory), which makes
rendering a "huge" CSG about as quick as a similar-size triangle mesh.

You're right that this approach isn't particularly flexible but I've since
found it useful for simulating rough textures, such as that on the surface
of
a brick, by clumping together billions of virtual boxes (per above method)
with each group having a slightly different texture and size/rotation.

I liked the ethereal/huge-scale quality of some of the images resulting
from the experiment hence me posting it...

Ian.