POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC WIP : Re: IRTC WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC WIP
From: s day
Date: 6 Feb 2006 04:35:00
Message: <web.43e71841fef3d3479114c5b20@news.povray.org>
"jute" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> > "Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
> > > super nice. all those white pixels in the snow are distracting though.
> > > hopefully a higher quality AA render will get rid of them?
> >
> > Yes, I think they are caused by the low roughness value and high specular
> > highlighting, I may play around with the settings a bit more if higher AA
> > doesn't get rid of them.
>
> Real snow has 'em -- tiny crystals with their normals aligned just so
> they reflect the sun towards the eye.  To me, yours look just fine ;)
>
> --
> jussi

Thanks, that is the effect I was trying to get with the high specular values
and low roughness. I read the debate about this topic in a recent snow
picture post and liked the sparkle effect. I do not think I have achieved
it as well as that post did but may try to improve on it by either
adjusting the normal or the specular values.

Thanks for the comment.

Sean