POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : volcano WIP : Re: volcano WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: volcano WIP
From: Jon Buller
Date: 24 Jan 2006 19:35:00
Message: <web.43d6c6a989a10e00be920ef30@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> Following my earlier post I've decided to go with the volcano image. This is
> the latest version, but I'm suffering a case of povver's block! I can see
> the volcano looks bad, but I don't know why. Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Tek
> http://evilsuperbrain.com

Seeing Mt St. Helens and Mt. Hood every day it's not cloudy and raining
around here, I have a few suggestions, but they may not actually apply.

1) Around here the rock is light gray, and the trees are that dark Fir green
color, but with distance they both turn a medium blue-gray color.  If you
want black basalt for your cone, it may not turn quite as blue, but I
suspect you lose all sense of distance because of that.  The snow should be
a real light blue also.

2) Way too perfect and cone shaped.  The ones around here are rather
deformed, St. Helens looks almost like a ball buried 3/4 down in the ground
from most view points on the south side, but with lots of vert. stripes
where rain has made gullies so there is a rock/snow pattern across it.
Hood still has a peak, but it has a bunch of bumps, canyons, bulges, etc.
from just about any vantage point.  Maybe try pointing Google Earth at some
of the volcanoes you are interested in being similar to.

3) The undersea part still has a ways to go, I think.  At first, I thought
it was a broken open crashed spaceship or something.  Not lumpy enough for
a vent, the water seems to color it too much, but not hide it enough.
Maybe less green for artistry, or more obscure for realism.

Despite all that, It looks pretty good to me, and I'm looking forward to
seeing the final image.

Jon