POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : volcano WIP : Re: volcano WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: volcano WIP
From: Charles C
Date: 24 Jan 2006 15:30:00
Message: <web.43d68d2c89a10e0058035aeb0@news.povray.org>
I'm sure our ideas on what a volcano should look like will differ with what
kind of mountains are nearby.  For me, here are the two I think of first
when I think 'volcano'since they're the neighborhood mountains (climbed
Helens, skied Hood.) They probably won't be much help for lava realism
though.  I agree with Darren about the symetry & verticality.  Hood is
fairly conical but still a lot flatter and irregular than how your mountain
is now.  St Helens apparently was once noted for how symetrical it was
(prior to what it's most famous for - it's 1980 dissappearance of it's
top). :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_St._Helens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Hood

Also, something about the lava (which I associate with places like Hawaii)
rather than ash/steam, and the light color of the water makes me think
'tropical' which is incongrous with the snow. If the snow is due to
elevation I would expect foothills or something to show that the body of
water is a mountain lake or something.   On the other hand,  in response to
Darren, Mt St Helens is an example of an active volcano that does have
snow.

Hmm, anything else... How far away is it?  Maybe some haze?

Charles