POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ivy on a tree WIP : Re: ivy on a tree WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ivy on a tree WIP
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Jan 2006 05:05:01
Message: <web.43d0b464238f31cea841434f0@news.povray.org>
BTW:  The tree texture (although not much of it is visible) was made with an
image_map. I took a single photo of a "slice" of real tree bark, made an
alpha channel (in Photoshop) to make the top and bottom of the image fade
to transparency, then applied it nine times up the tree.  The bark is
(obviously) not u-mapped--don't yet know how to do that. :-(  Laziness, I
suppose.  Instead, it's cylindrically-mapped, with each texture segment
being offset in x and z, to line up with the "center" of the tree at that
height. (And rotated about the y-axis randomly, which helps to hide the
repetition.) Also bump-mapped using the same image.

I did that by eye, but it occurs to me that I could use part of my tracing
code as-is to automate the process.

Ken