POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Trefoil damage : Trefoil damage Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Trefoil damage
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Jan 2006 07:35:01
Message: <web.43cf86da5fba248731f01d10@news.povray.org>
What ho

Here's a first try at trefoil bombardment. Because the dispacement macro
returns a vector, I can add several together to produce multiple impacts.
Implementing the displacements in the trefoil program was a little fiddly
because I had to call it for the bricks, steps, step sideboards, handrail
posts and handrails separately. Somewhat arbitrarily, I've used thin
semitransparent beams to show the impact axis, and they've turned out
rather well - they look like some kind of projected beam weapon!

This is a scaled-down version from a 1600x1200 image (~900k), which can be
viewed at:

http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/trefoil_pow.jpg

The large image took ~1.5 hours to render, over half of which was parsing. I
reckon I could streamline my code a bit to improve that - I think I might
be doing some unnecessary calculation / variable declaration somewhere. I
also need to put a cutoff radius in the displace macro - you can just see
that the stairs in shadow on the column which threads the lower-right loop
have been perturbed by the beam where it passes close.

Cool, eh?

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: