POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A test-need a little help on lighting : Re: A test-need a little help on lighting Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A test-need a little help on lighting
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Jan 2006 03:25:01
Message: <web.43cf4ba64e4b86d9dbcfc3c90@news.povray.org>
"fls13" <fls### [at] netzeronet> wrote:
> I've got a parallel light positioned outside the window, but it's not
> casting light very realistically. What would be the best light type to use
> so the light fans out once it passes thru the mesh's "window"?

I like your scene; very old-world-looking, just the way I imagine it must
have been like to live in such a place back in medieval days.

To Alain's response, I would add: try using an area spotlight.  It will
render faster than a normal area light, since the rays are confined only to
the visible cone. And then position it FAR away from the window.  (I
haven't tried a scene like yours, though, so I don't really know if the
light will "fan out" correctly, the way you want. Try playing with the
light's distance.)

An example...

light_source {
    0*x
    color <1,1,1>
    spotlight
    translate <...whatever...>
    radius 2 // or something smaller
    tightness 100 // to make its overall cone sharp,
                   // since it's aimed only at the window
    falloff 2.5  // or 2
    point_at <...whatever...>
    area_light <1, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 1>,16,16 // just a guess
    adaptive 1
    jitter
    circular
    orient