POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My first RSOCP : Re: My first RSOCP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My first RSOCP
From: Jon Buller
Date: 16 Jan 2006 13:30:01
Message: <web.43cbe3e99d79c9c16210060@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> "Jon Buller" <jon### [at] bullersnet> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to make translucent smoke that is opaque in just the right
> > parts?  I was thinking of a neon sign without the glass tubing, or perhaps
> > a white fog tube with a bright colored wire running through the center to
> > light it.  Maybe it can't be done, or maybe I just haven't figured out
> > what
> > I'm doing yet.  Any hints?
>
> Not sure what you're asking.

The problem is, neither am I.  I have this vague image in my mind, but I
don't think it's consistent enough to actually be tangible.  I just thought
it would look cool if it was foggy and glowed.

> Pov's media will give a good smoke/fog. To get
> a neon effect you'd want a media with emission in the colour of the neon,
> absorption in grey (to provide the opacity, but probably much less than the
> emission value), and then mess with the density to make it look right.

I took an example (I think it was in the portfolio dir) and played with it
a bit...  Got the attached image which I think sucks compared to the mirror
one.  Esp. the parts where it overlaps.  Maybe I just need to play with it a
lot more, but that was bad enough (and made me think about the translucent
"problem" to think that what I was imagining might not be consistent enough
to implement.

> That any help? I can bash together some sample code if you're interested.

Thanks, but don't bother until I figure out what I'm actually trying to
visualize.

> BTW, your image seems sort of familiar to me:
> http://evilsuperbrain.com/?bgID=1 :)

Yes, I made a version like that too, because of that HOF image.  I didn't
think the knot would look quite as close to the linked rings as it does,
until I did it.  I was just thinking of doing the knot like the links,
torus sections tight enough to just be tangent to the other parts of the
object.

The links were a lot harder to make the colors fade into each other
though... 8^)  Maybe I should have used a figure-8 knot instead of the
trefoil, so the plagerism wouldn't be so obvious.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'knot-fire.png' (135 KB)

Preview of image 'knot-fire.png'