POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New year post : Re: New year post Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New year post
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 4 Jan 2006 06:30:01
Message: <web.43bbb1518e10781731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>
> > Who wants to guess how long it took to render?
>
>      .099 zillion hours?  ;)

Actually, the very first guess of 108 minutes is closest - almost dead-on.
15 minutes of that is parse time, however! If I turn radiosity off, it only
takes about 25 minutes. This nicely illustrates how fast meshes can be
rendered: yes folks, 'tis 100% triangles!

There's been quite a lot of comment on the darkness of the scene. I wanted
it dark, but maybe not quite this dark - I rendered it on my iBook, which
has a very bright screen compared to my office PC (perhaps I should turn it
down a bit...). As mentioned above, this image does use radiosity, and I
can just dimly make out detail in the shadowed areas on my monitor.

Up/down - I can easily add a railing below(?) the steps as well, but I'm
concerned that it might make the image too busy. I'll try it and see what
it looks like. Next job: people.

Right, I'd better get knotted ;)

Bill