POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma 1.0/2.0 per discussion : Re: assumed_gamma 1.0/2.0 per discussion Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma 1.0/2.0 per discussion
From: stm31415
Date: 29 Dec 2005 21:00:00
Message: <web.43b4948f2754971b251bcc140@news.povray.org>
Here is how I understand it - and I may be wrong, it has, astoundingly
enough, been known to happen ;)
The gamma info that is included in some images (not this one, as you said,
it being jpeg) is there specifically to allow for apps to correct the image
to make it appear as it did on the monitor it was originally made on, i.e.
yours. IF there is no such information, then the image is seen in an
altered state, because ht egamma of the viewing monitor is different then
yours. If I change my monitor's gamma to match yours, that is, I make the
correction instead of the software, it works the same way. If you do not
plan on my changing my viewing system, then you might as well not do gamma
correction, make the image look good on your monitor, and accept that it
will be different on mine.
So unless you use a filetype that includes gamma, and a program that adjusts
for it, or make us all switch to gamma of 2.0 (which may be logical but is
still wierd) then there is no point in using assumed gamma.
That is how I understand it. PLease correct me if I am wrong - I want to
learn.

-s
5TF!