POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma 1.0/2.0 per discussion : Re: assumed_gamma 1.0/2.0 per discussion Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma 1.0/2.0 per discussion
From: stm31415
Date: 29 Dec 2005 11:10:00
Message: <web.43b409f82754971bea4042fe0@news.povray.org>
Well, of course, the trick is what *our* monitors are working with. When I
play with my gamma to get it to 2.0 (which is a wierd value to pick, btw),
the bands on the bottom fall much more smoothly from white to black, where
as the bands for gamma 1.0 are heavy towards the light end. 1.0 is not, in
fact, a gamma I can get, so I have no way of comparing - but as I
understand it, if I could reach such a gamma, the top image would look like
2.0 did at 2.0.

It might make more sense to use gammas such as 1.8 and 2.2, so you can get
opinions from people with the proper settings.

-s
5TF!