POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : What determines CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE? : What determines CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE? Server Time
17 May 2024 06:38:38 EDT (-0400)
  What determines CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE?
From: Eric Buddington
Date: 27 Dec 2005 00:40:01
Message: <web.43b0d3565acbf65287938cd40@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray-3.6.1

I am interested in expanding the range of scales that POV-Ray can use. I'm
animating a fly-in from the edge of the galaxy (~10e23m) to my house

One problem is that large spheres get classified as "infinite", even though
they occupy a very small view angle. The subsequent render is painfully
slow. It looks like increasing CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE should help,
though I'm still seeing hordes of infinite objects afterwards.

Are the current values for CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE at some calculated
maximum, or did they just get pegged at "big enough for any sane use"?

-Eric