POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : silly dots (WIP) : Re: silly dots (WIP) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: silly dots (WIP)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 20 Dec 2005 13:55:00
Message: <web.43a852564cd564a16c4803960@news.povray.org>
> My guess is that they might possibly be real effects. The particular
> shape of the superellipsoid causing infinite internal reflections.
>
> If you set the max_trace_level to 100000, then there are fewer dots, and
> the ones that are left turn red. That suggests to me that some rays are
> getting trapped forever inside the object, becoming slightly redder with
> each internal reflection.

I also assume that this must be the case (I am unable to do any further
checks here at work, when I try to DL the source it gets corruped.  I'll
have to check later at home).

BTW I believe that max_trace_level can be maximum 256:

3.3.3.7  Max_Trace_Level
Values for max_trace_level can be set up to a maximum of 256. If there is no
max_trace_level set and during rendering the default value is reached, a
warning is issued

-tgq