POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : silly dots (WIP) : Re: silly dots (WIP) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: silly dots (WIP)
From: Burki
Date: 20 Dec 2005 13:10:01
Message: <web.43a847ef4cd564a1d61e8c370@news.povray.org>
Thank you etrask and Bruno, David and Roman.

Before I read Bruno's post I already tested etrask's proposal and gave the
stela a translate 0.002 * y (1/1000 of its height). That already removed
most of the dots.

The carving should really a bit deeper. I have to balance the depth of the
carving with the refraction of the light in the shadow to the right.

Didn't try the accuracy trick as I feared the rendering time. BTW Bruno, you
must have spend a real long time with it, hope you didn't do it all with
photons...

The dark part at the bottom of the stela I think comes from the large ior.
Value is 1.765 - that of corundum (or of ruby what I just found out) ,
somewhere in between of glass and diamond. I will also try a lower value,
say that of emerald ( 1.575, ok emerald is hardly ever red but we're all
flexible aren't we).

To David and Roman: max_trace_level was 24. I'm asking myself if it can be
to high. But this is an the global block, not in the photons block.
max_gradient was 4. Wondering if higher values do anything

---
What I want to do further is to place a few tools that archaeologists use
around the stela. E.g. a brush, trowel, plumb bob, these kind of things.
Thinking about a background but still not sure what. Maybe a book shelf.

Thanks again all !
Yours,
Bu.