POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma tests : Re: Gamma tests Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:09:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma tests
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Dec 2005 03:15:01
Message: <web.43a66ac651e1e6ed6fdca530@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> > Sorry; having trouble seeing that, at the resolution of your posted image.
> > Post a larger version, perhaps?
>
> Here are two images, the one without banding was made with a BMP, the other
> with PNG. You might want to zoom in on the shoreline with a paint program.

Thanks. This is weird: I thought I would be looking for some kind of subtle
effect--but the banding your talking about really jumped out , once I
brought your image up in Photoshop and brightened it. Talk about not seeing
the forest for the trees! :-) If what I'm seeing is what you're talking
about, it looks like the (millions-of-colors?) render has somehow been
down-sampled to 256 colors or less. The effect looks just like a
digital-camera .jpeg image that I "reduced" to a .gif, to see what would
happen. Is it possible that your POV .png render is in a "reduced" color
pallette? Very odd. BTW, I couldn't duplicate your image's strange
appearance by changing my .jpeg to a .png, not even by invoking all the
"special" .png settings available in Photoshop. It still looked correct.

Ken