POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Green photons render : Re: Green photons render Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Green photons render
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 12 Dec 2005 22:20:00
Message: <web.439e3cc57988abee43a5e2560@news.povray.org>
"Simon Dyer" <sim### [at] paradisenetnz> wrote:
> I found the problem, or at least the solution, still dont understadn where
> the green came from, but I had dispersion on and for some reason my shapes
> always dispersed to green.  With dispersion 1.0, the green goes away.  Stil
> some eird textures inside my spehere though.
>
>         interior {ior 1.10 dispersion 1.0 dispersion_samples 7}

Aha!  I think i found something.  I had suspected that dispersion had
something to do with it, and your dispersion 1.0 trial confirms it.

From lent_test3.pov:
> interior {ior 1.10 dispersion 1.2 dispersion_samples 3}

I've noticed that photons don't quite honor the dispersion count; it is as
if the photons undercount the dispersion_samples by 2.  With your
dispersion_samples set at 3, you'll only have one color to work with--the
middle color of the spectrum, *green*.

(I haven't attempted to report this as a bug because it's less painful to
increase dispersion_samples by 2 than to bother the POV Team.)

Also, be careful with your dispersion compared to your ior.  At ior 1.1
dispersion 1.2, if i understand this right (not guaranteed!), the red will
not refract at all.