POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debian package for POV-Ray : Re: Debian package for POV-Ray Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:10:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian package for POV-Ray
From: Mike C
Date: 8 Dec 2005 19:30:00
Message: <web.4398cf7f55a275ab49e932890@news.povray.org>
sascha <sas### [at] jpatchcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've switched to Ubuntu a few weeks ago - and there's a precompiled
> POV-Ray package available, but it's version 3.5 (at least it's all
> Synaptic is able to find).
>
> Is there a more recent version available for Debian and/or Ubuntu?
>
> This is just an informal question, I know that it's no problem to get
> the latest source and compile it, but I'd still prefere packages if they
> are available (so I don't have to worry about path and library issues).
> I'm just curious.

The Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) povray package has pvm (or some other
parallelization) patches on it.  Because those patches don't work on
anything newer than 3.5 (3.6 had 'radical changes' - uses mpi on local
system to prepare for 3.7 (supports multi-processor machines, a.k.a. SMP,
or shall I say "Dual Core Compatable"? :) and other future versions of
pov-ray) there has been no newer version of povray.  (My feeling is that in
retrospect the thing probably should have been released as povray-3.5-pvm
and then there could have been an official povray-3.6 ... package, although
that would mess up the current scheme anyhow.)

In any case, installing 3.6 from the binary tar.gz from the povray.org
website has worked really well for me.  ("$ sudo ./install" in the povray
install directory extracted from the tar.gz file)

IIRC, in Ubuntu/Debian 'depends' on the povray package aren't forced by
packages such as KPovModeller and the like and they'll usually autodetect
even a install from the official packages from povray.org once installed.
(Meaning that kpov will run povray from the program, not that synaptic will
find povray.)