POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cruddy radiosity between stomp boxes : Cruddy radiosity between stomp boxes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Cruddy radiosity between stomp boxes
From: Ard
Date: 6 Dec 2005 18:05:02
Message: <web.439617eca4b08ceeed802ab30@news.povray.org>
Hi folks.  The floor of the gap between these two boxes is in total
darkness, so I'm using radiosity to bring it out.  The default
radiosity settings produce the inset image, with obvious horizontal
artifacts.

After a few renders I ended up with

 count 80 nearest_count 8 error_bound 0.1
 pretrace_end 0.02 adc_bailout 0.01

....which rendered the attached image in 6h45m.  It still isn't good:
it looks like my graphic equaliser is leaking coal dust.  And it takes
five times as long to render as radiosity{}.

I've had about enough of the tweak/render loop, so I'm turning to you
for advice.

Also, the finer settings introduced the black splotch arrowed.  Ummm, ?

Actually, I'm not too cut up about the final result - these models are
part of a much larger project and will not be viewed too closely, and
certainly not on a green and yellow chequered plane.  That's why I'm
not fixing the image maps or the cable texture.  However I would like
to understand radiosity a little better, so I'm looking forward to
your suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'guitars.cs2knobs.inset.jpg' (116 KB)

Preview of image 'guitars.cs2knobs.inset.jpg'
guitars.cs2knobs.inset.jpg