POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crater field : Crater field Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Crater field
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 28 Nov 2005 09:15:00
Message: <web.438b0e52708b6d64f7ce4c3a0@news.povray.org>
After seeing Cassini's recent pictures of some of the icy crater fields of
Saturn's moons Dione & Tethys, I was inspired to dig up my old crater
height field generator I wrote on the Amiga to see how it works on Linux.

As you can see from the quick test below, it functions ok (yes, the texture
looks more like plastic than ice :). I've just improved the way each crater
is blended into the existing landscape, although I'm still not completely
happy with the crater generation algorithm.

To be perfectly honest, I can't remember the algebra behind some of the
parameters.  That's what happens when you don't use enough comments & other
documentation and you then try to decipher 5 year old code. :) I'll just
have to sit down & reverse-engineer the geometry...

The crater generator height field output is only 8 bit .pgm, but I'm
thinking of adding 16 bit & maybe even simple floating point (hdr) output.

If anyone's interested in this crater generator, I'll post the C source &
Linux binary (in the appropriate area).

PS. The crater heightfield is tileable.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: