POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : skin WIP : Re: skin WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: skin WIP
From: RobF
Date: 27 Nov 2005 23:35:01
Message: <web.438a87ca56b083b529c50a910@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:

> Anyway, the one thing I can't get from daz is nice looking pov finish
> settings. So I've been playing with a variety of lighting and material
> setups to try and get a nice effect.

I ran into a similar problem just a couple of weeks ago - the skin was
always washed out/too pale. After some playing around, I found that if I
render with an assumed_gamma of 2.2, it turns out much better.
Alternatively, you can change the gamma of the image_maps exported by
PoseRay.  In addition, I always get rid of all the phongs, ambient rgb
<0,0,0>, and reflections in the material.inc file exported by PoseRay.

I've attached my first success with this method.

> The most novel effect is fake sub-surface scattering, achieved by blending a
> red material with brilliance 1.5 and a cyan material with brilliance 2, then
> applying the colour map as a filter on top of that. The difference in
> brilliance values adds a slight red tint at small angles to the light, which
> looks sort of like the sub-surface behaviour of skin (and is way cheaper to
> render than doing it properly!).

Cool! I'd like to play around with your approach.

Rob.
www.fitzel.ca/dart/

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: