POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debian package for POV-Ray : Re: Debian package for POV-Ray Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian package for POV-Ray
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 23 Nov 2005 21:15:01
Message: <web.43851fbd55a275abdd5514710@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson <org### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> PM 2Ring wrote:
> > I've only been using Linux for a few weeks (and I still need to use Windows
> > for this stupid modem :) but I had no probs installing the standard POV
> > binary package on Mepis. A POV Debian package would make things a little
> > neater, I suppose.
> >
> I mostly use Fedora, but I also have and play with a few other
> distros...  And as you imply, the standard POV binary package installs
> and runs fine with Debian 3.1 (Sarge).
>
> Although I have to confess that I just rendered a few of the normal
> example scene files simply to verify that it was working.

I actually installed Linux because of POV. I'd read here that it was faster
& stabler than POV under Windows. I was trying to render a scene to a
1024x768 image and it was locking up after every 8 lines or so. After a
dozen or more reboots I gave up. The same scene rendered on Linux without a
hitch.

Almost all of my renders over the last month have been under Linux, using
Kate as the editor. I've got syntax highlighting working, but I do miss
keyword completion & the autolookup of docs that the Windows GUI has. I've
had a quick look at qtpoveditor (or whatever it's called) but I just found
it confusing & I couldn't even work out how to configure it. :(