POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Pi Pool Balls : Re: The Pi Pool Balls Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Pi Pool Balls
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 23 Nov 2005 09:30:00
Message: <web.43847c62663c051974786be00@news.povray.org>
"the_ajj" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> By the way, how did you get pi's digits? Did you just
> > write the first 45 of them, or did you use some algorithm to calculate as
> > many as wanted?
>
> Nothing too fancy I'm afraid.  I got the digits themselves off the web.  I
> then created an image map for each of the balls with the relevant digits.

If you like, I can translate a short Pi generator into POV SDL that will
give about 700 digits before it gets overflow errors. On a related note, I
posted a POV scene file a few months back that can calculate e to millions
of digits. I'll repost it if you like.

PS. Nice concept. Years ago, I wrote a PostScript program to print pi in an
exponential spiral, and I've recently been thinking of converting it
(somehow) into POV SDL.