POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : alien beach : Re: alien beach Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alien beach
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 23 Nov 2005 08:15:00
Message: <web.43846a90996cb25c731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> Oh, talking about recipe: How did you do it? It's something i would like to
> do.
Instead of using the normal sky_sphere, use a regular hollow sphere big
enough to enclose your scene. Give it the required colour gradient and a
partial transparency, ambient 1, diffuse 0. Put your moon outside the sky
sphere, and the parts in shadow will then have the same colour as the local
sky. You might need to tweak the sky transparency and colour a bit - the
colour gradient ends up being a little darker than on a regular sky_sphere.

This is exactly what I used in my ringworld scene to make the shadowed arch
areas sky-coloured. Sometimes I don't even bother using a colour gradient
on the sky - a ground fog can usually produce the desired effect (this is
of course similar to how sky gradients work in real life, too).

Very easy once you've done it a couple of times!

Bill