POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Linux gamma driving me nuts : Re: Linux gamma driving me nuts Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux gamma driving me nuts
From: Ard
Date: 13 Nov 2005 21:55:01
Message: <web.4377fc66ed2d9a67ed802ab30@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> If I remember corectly, if you DON'T include "assumed_gamma" then your PNG don't
> include gamma information. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I'm going to have to correct you there Alain.  PNGs generated with
POV-Ray 3.6.1 on Linux include gamma information (a gAMA chunk) whether the
source file contains assumed_gamma or not.

However your suggestion led me to discover the cause of one of my problems:
the value in the gAMA chunk in the PNG is set to 1.0 if a CPU histogram is
generated with +HTx.  It should be set to 1/display_gamma.