POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange : Re: assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Nov 2005 02:40:01
Message: <web.437449881f2346271b45c0860@news.povray.org>
"Ard" <ard### [at] waikatoacnz> wrote:
> The Gods of non-linearity are having fun with me today.  No wonder the 19th
> century was so good for art: they didn't have gamma to contend with.

Since I like to send my POV images to friends who use both PCs and Macs, I
decided to strike a "compromise" with the gamma settings.

I decided on 2.0 (the average between the Mac's 1.8 and the PC's 2.2), both
as an assumed_gamma AND in all of my QUICKRES.INI entries. This way, I can
be pretty sure my images will look *almost* the way they should, no matter
who gets 'em.

Of course, with modern computers and monitors, anyone can now fiddle around
with the gammas to suit themselves, which sounds like a recipe
for...chaos!!!  :-)

Ken