POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange : assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange
From: Ard
Date: 10 Nov 2005 21:10:00
Message: <web.4373fd35d28cb00fed802ab30@news.povray.org>
The Gods of non-linearity are having fun with me today.  No wonder the 19th
century was so good for art: they didn't have gamma to contend with.

Attached is my render of the following scene, with an inset of what happens
when I remove the assumed_gamma.  The scene is so simple that I'm sure I
haven't done anything stupid.  Haven't I?  Surely, an orange sphere should
be orange?

I get similar results with no .ini file, and an .ini file containing
"display_gamma 2.5" (which is what, in theory, I should be using).  Is
something broken in my install?

Please help.

#include "colors.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1
}
plane {  y, -2 texture { pigment { checker colour Green colour Yellow} }}
light_source { -10*z colour White}
camera { location -3*z look_at 0 }
sphere {0, 1
  texture {pigment {Orange}}  // Did I say "banana"?  Nooooooooo.
}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gamma.jpg' (27 KB)