POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : more Ringworld : Re: more Ringworld Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more Ringworld
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 1 Nov 2005 10:05:01
Message: <web.43678388e9e218d9731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> conclusion that, in any case, the atmospheric effect would resemble a half
> sphere around the camera (like you did). Further away, it would not count.
> So, I am back to start in that respect, but I learned a lesson.
Yes, it feels like cheating, but technically a sky_sphere is cheating too.
I've played with media (and haloes, back in the day) to obtain a "complete"
atmosphere simulation in the past, and it simply isn't worth it. The
results are, as you say, indistinguishable from a filtered sky_sphere at
best.

It's no substitute for media if you want light interaction, but I've often
wondered if it were possible to implement more flexible fogs, i.e.
cylindrical and spherical ground fogs, and perhaps even fogs restricted to
particular volumes (like an isosurface contained_by). It would be a very
useful and quick alternative for many special effects which would otherwise
require media, especially simple glowing effects and atmospheric haze. Such
features would definitely be high on my POV-Ray wish list for future
versions (hint hint!) - any opinions, anybody?

Bill